Dawn
Last week I promised I'd make a list of what we ate this week and give you a few recipes as well.  If you missed last week's post about food it's here.  But, the gist of it is that our family has chosen to go vegan for a number of reasons.  I'm not pushing it on anyone else, but I'm offering our menu and some recipes if there's anything you think you might want to try.  Next week I'll probably be publishing something the kids decided they really like and the full recipe.  It's difficult to find things that are vegan that Minion #1 will eat.  The autism sometimes wins that battle :(

Saturday
Cereal - Uncle Sam Cereal, Shredded Wheat & Bob's Red Mill Muesli combination  (corn and honey nut chex for us GF people) with bananas
Veggie Pad Thai  I tossed a few handfuls of veggies I had in the fridge in with this as well.
Pasta  Quinoa pasta and sauce.  The kids had the last bag of the frozen meat balls as well.

Sunday
Pumpkin Pancakes - Bob's Red Mill pancake mix.  Flaxseed meal and water instead of egg and a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin and cinnamon to taste.  We use almond milk at our house and love it.
Portobello Mushroom burger panini  - Marinate in some balsamic vinegar and olive oil with salt and pepper.  On our paninis we had hummus, lettuce, tomato and pickles as well, just like a hamburger.
Shepherds Pie  
Banana "Ice Cream"

Monday
Baked Oatmeal - the kids adored this and are begging for more, so I'd say it was a hit.
Shepherds Pie Leftovers
Black Bean and Sweet Potato enchiladas 

Tuesday
Cereal and fruit
Enchilada leftovers
Fish Sticks Mac and Cheese and Sweet Potato fries

Wednesday
Cereal
Pad Thai and GF hot and sour soup (I picked out the tofu, blech)
Shepherds pie leftovers and Rice

Thursday
Oatmeal with peaches and blueberries
Veggie korma
NatureValley Almond bar
Gobi Mutter and Naan   Not in English, but it's kind of fun to make stuff up.  Turn the volume down and use the Sweedie Chef Voice, you'll amuse yourself the entire video!
Carrot cupcakes - no frosting.  These are awesome enough to stand on their own.
Donated Hat Cake!
These are the frozen leftovers from a GF carrot cake I made a while back for the spring fair, right before Mother's Day.  It was donated to the school as a prize.

Friday
Cereal with strawberries
Mexican out - I had grilled Veggies and adobo sauce with veggie beans, rice and corn tortillas
Homemade pizza with  Bob's GF pizza crust.  We don't use the yeast packet.  Pizza sauce is usually Del Grosso's (they're also family owned and local!) Nutritional Yeast in place of cheese and whatever veggies we have on hand.

For those of you thinking, "Hey!  You cheated and had fish!"  Yep, we sure did.  We'll probably will eat up the rest of the meat that's currently frozen in the larger chest freezer in the garage too.  I'm not going to throw food away, unless I have to.  I am however planning on getting some canning done this year if I can talk my mom into teaching me how and maybe using her gobs of canning jars.  So, mom, if you're reading this, wanna can some stuff?

Labels: |
2 Responses
  1. Becky M. Says:

    If you're cleaning meat out of your big freezer and don't plan to replace it, ball has 8oz and 16oz freezer canning cups -- if you don't mind that they're plastic. We've used them to store everything from homemade spaghetti sauce to fruit spiced up for later use in pies, cobblers, etc.

    Traditional canning isn't really too difficult. (Unless you're like me and set pans of water on fire...more than once...on more than one occasion.) http://www.freshpreserving.com/home.aspx This is where I go for all my food preservation questions, regardless of the storage container or process.

    The thing that tops my list of canning / food preservation adventures to try currently is making freezer jelly. Our local Farmer's Market has locally grown mini-plums at a decent price, and red plum jelly is sounding way too good not to try it. (Plus, every time I pull it from the fridge I can torment my boys by pulling a Danny Torrance. Redrum jelly! Redrum jelly!)


  2. Dawn Says:

    I use the canning cups for freezing soups and stews, they're really awesome. I will be heading over to food preserving.com though. I have a few questions that I'm sure are too dumb to actually ask anyone outloud.


Post a Comment