Dawn
Before you make comments about tree hugging and animal loving... Um, not that kind of animal loving.  I want to say that I'll not be giving up my leather shoes, coat, or bracelet. I also won't be out saving whales, or helping to liberate a flock of chickens from the evil corporate giants that stuff them in tiny cages. Those are fine and dandy reasons for some people, just not me.
My Mother's side of the family has a high rate of cancer. Breast cancer also runs in that side of the family. My Dad's side has a history of other fun things like heart disease, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Osteoporosis, Strokes and Diabetes. I'm really not a fan of any of that. I am a fan of keeping both my girls right where they are, and cancer free, not to mention breaking a hip holds no appeal to me.
Does going vegan reduce the risks of that? I can quote you studies that have been done, and someone else can quote studies that say the opposite. What I can say is that after reviewing one of the studies that was done over a 20 year time period, and not in this country where lobbyists and special interest groups have more say than real science, yes it does reduce the risks.
www.happyvegetable.com
Is it for everyone?  Nope.  I don't care what you eat, as long as it's not my brains.
Will I cheat now and then?  Probably, and I'm ok with that.
Do I feel better?  Yes.  We had some concern over what my food was eating (soy - I can't have it) as I was still getting sick from certain things I was eating with no explanation.  Since giving up meat I feel better.  Easily better than I have in years.
Next Friday I'll be posting the menu for the week as well as a few recipes we've tried and really like.  This week I'm only posting one, but it's such an important one around here.  We implemented a tradition of sundaes on Sunday years ago.  It has successfully kept the boys from wanting ice cream as a dessert every night for a few years just by making a big to do out of it once a week.  Without having to go out an buy some expensive non dairy, non soy ice cream you can have a nutritious and economical treat with a few bananas.

Banana "Ice cream"
Huge list of ingredients:
1 medium to large banana for each person  - that's it.

Slice up the bananas and lay them flat on a plate or tray depending on how many people you're treating.
Put the tray in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
Add the frozen bananas to your blender and blend.  And blend.  This is a bit of a process, so don't get discouraged if it seems like you end up with banana shavings.  Just squish them back together and blend some more.
Suddenly, the bananas will turn into something that looks like soft serve.  Seriously, it's banana magic.
Scoop it out of the blender and serve.


Hippocrates: 'Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food'

Labels: |
1 Response
  1. Becky M. Says:

    Kudos to you for going vegan. I don't think I could. The banana thing sounds really good, though. I'm going to try it! :)


Post a Comment